Wednesday, July 18, 2007

MIDIBOX SID: FINALLY SOME PROGRESS!

Take a look just a couple posts down at Wilbas's MIDIbox SID. After years of puttering, that world is finally about to become a reality for me!

For years I've been pondering building something just like it. The obstacle has always been the modular nature of the MIDIbox hardware platform: too many individual, oversized modules for such relatively simple circuits. I had plans to combine several Core PIC modules and several SID chips all on to one circuit board, miniaturize it some and build a kickass desktop SID synth.

Wilba has done just that, and has now organized a group buy for his circuit boards and front panel. The PCB order has been placed, and I'm in on it. I'll probably pick up a front panel too.

If all goes as planned, I'll have this SID synth built and running by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, this video was posted about a year ago to demonstrate some of the aciddy sounds just a single SID is capable of. The unit you see here is the first actual MIDIbox SID, all put together in a used C64 case.

My instrument will have 4 SIDs and a case similar to Wilba's.

It's not too late to jump on the group buy bandwagon, but by this time tomrrow, it might be! All the info you need is in the MIDIbox forum.

No comments: