Friday, June 4, 2010

UPDATES.

Well the Foran's gig was a mixed bag. First, the negatives:

- I had to follow an aggressive dubstep set that largely cleared the bar.
- For some unknown reason, Logic suddenly stopped and gave me one of those "I couldn't keep up" dialog boxes like 4 times during the show.
- After one of the aforementioned 5-second silence intervals, I did not recover at the correct point and subsequently missed about 4 minutes of my set, including most of "Atmos".
- Missing most of "Atmos" meant the Thingamakit solo was also missed.
- My wife told me it sounded like nothing was new, even though I played 3 (maybe 4?) new grooves.
- The x0xb0x line was out of sync during "London B" so I had to mute it.
- No good pics, video, or recordings.
- The police dropped by and insisted that the sound be turned down, drastically, at 1:40 AM.

And the positives:
- Mixing on the new Zero8 was a breeze. The pseudo-kaoss pad was a joy, and the channel meters were really helpful.
- Alex Smoke was there ... or, given the problems I had, maybe that's a negative?
- The sound was surprisingly good.
- One of the parts of "Helium" was missing from my bounces, so I re-recorded it in the hotel before the set, and I think the new part sounds sweeter.

I'm retooling for Om. Big time. New software will most likely either be MainStage or (gasp) Ableton Live. I will endeavour to use more live hardware synths where possible as well.

Om Reunion Project's "in:fuse" gathering is in two weeks. Details to follow.

No comments: